We work with adults, children, adolescents, couples and families to help develop effective communication and problem-solving skills, with a goal of improving relationship satisfaction.
Some of the outcomes of relationship or family therapy might include:
- Creating fulfilling relationships and resilient families
- Speaking and listening with care
- Restoring harmony in conflicted relationships
- Dealing with sexual problems and embracing healthy sexuality
- Expanding social support networks, meeting new people, making friends
- Setting appropriate boundaries with immediate family, extended family and friends
- Addressing affairs and facilitating healing after the affair
- Establishing or re-establishing trust
- Learning more effective parenting skills
- Reducing emotional and behavioural issues for children
- Addressing individual issues that impact relationships and families
- Preventing or addressing domestic violence
- Creating healthy and respectful separation and divorce
We work with individuals to help them be as successful as possible in the workplace.
Goals related to workplace issues may include:
- Coaching to realize career goals
- Expanding repertoire of interpersonal skills
- Establishing boundaries in the workplace; learning how to say “yes” and “no” effectively
- Preparing to return to work after a leave of absence, short-term or long-term disability leave
- Getting the most out of supervisors
- Recognizing toxic conflict in the workplace and learning how to avoid it
- Engaging in personal self-care, health and fitness habits that reduce stress
- Achieving balance in work, family and personal life
- Eliminating self-defeating beliefs and replacing with helpful self-talk
- Providing customized on-site presentations and consultation
The human experience includes a broad spectrum of emotions. We work with adults, children and adolescents who want to improve their ability to manage their emotions successfully. We employ a wide variety of therapy modalities, tailored to clients’ needs, to expand skills for regulating emotions.
Positive counselling outcomes may include:
- Making changes that support emotional well-being
- Understanding the context in which depression or anxiety are experienced
- Moving beyond depression and living with joy
- Letting go of anxiety and experiencing inner peace
- Learning relaxation skills for managing emotions
- Overcoming phobias
- Understanding and managing anger
- Dealing with grief and loss issues
- Recovering from trauma and varying forms of abuse
- Identifying unhelpful core beliefs and replacing with more effective thinking patterns
- Strengthening motivation
Individuals sometimes seek counselling if they realize they are using substances or behaviors in ways that negatively impact themselves or their relationships. Some individuals seek help if they recognize they have an unhealthy relationship with food. We work with children, adolescents and adults who want to understand and change their dysfunctional or addictive behaviors.
Some of the positive changes they can expect are:
- Recognizing the impact of the addictive behaviour on self and others
- Overcoming addictions to substances such as alcohol or drugs
- Overcoming behavioural addictions such as pornography, sex, internet and gambling
- Developing healthy relationships with food
- Improving body image
- Recovering from anorexia, bulimia, compulsive overeating and overexercising
- Addressing the addiction cycle that sustains maladaptive behaviour
- Choosing healthier options for soothing uncomfortable feelings
- Separating the addiction from other life issues
- Making decisions about whether abstinence or moderation is the best choice
- Exploring options to abstinence if that is a healthy choice
- Making contingency plans and learning relapse prevention strategies
We are committed to using the most effective therapy interventions that are matched with the needs of our clients. We encourage clients to do homework between sessions to maximize the benefit of the therapy process.
Some of the approaches we use include:
- Cognitive behavioral interventions
- Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR)
- Clinical hypnosis
- Narrative therapy
- Critical incident management
- Communications and social skills training
Prospective clients are welcome to contact us by phone or email to discuss their concerns and decide who would be most appropriate to work with them. We return calls promptly and can normally schedule appointments within a week. Some therapists are available for evening or weekend sessions.
Clients may request to see a specific therapist or let us suggest the therapist who best matches their needs. Because of the wide range of expertise our collective can offer, we are able to deal with most issues that clients bring. If individuals call about an issue that is outside our expertise, we will refer to trusted colleagues in the community to ensure that clients get the best possible service.
Human Resource personnel and Occupational Health Nurses are welcome to refer employees at all levels of the company. When appropriate, and with permission from the referred client, they may also call us to review therapy progress and consult on follow-up protocols.
Individuals may refer friends, family members, colleagues or partners, knowing that services are confidential.